Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Love this story so much, it has to be the next post....
When I lived in Evansville, we went to this conference in Jasper IN. One of the speakers was a little old nun. She was so sweet and she just had such a graceful way with words and such a beautiful gift for uplifting and motivating others. She told us this story and I will never forget it as long as I live: When Jesus talks to us about being a shepherd to his flock, it's important to know the role of a shepherd and to visually picture the rugged terrain that they had to work with, it gives more depth and meaning to The Good Shepherd. She told us that they were almost on mountain cliffs many times, and there was always one or two sheep that were young and would wander from the flock, and the shepherd would go after them and try to rescue them before they met an early death over the side of the cliff. If the same sheep kept going away and wondering off, the shepherd would break his front legs at the joint and wrap them in cloth, he would then carry the sheep around his neck until the legs would heal, through this time the sheep would become familiar with the shepherds voice and when they were healed, that sheep never left the flock or wandered away from the shepherd.  
This story just speaks multitudes of moments in my life when God had to "break my legs" to keep me on the right path, as I tend to wander off quit a bit! It reminds me of all of the valleys that I have been through spiritually, when I was so depressed, sick, down on myself and everyone else, when nothing seemed like it was ever going to work out or change, when I was the most broken, it was those times that I couldn't see the healing taking place, it was those times that God formed me and carried me, and loved me and forgave me! Apply this to your own life, I have no doubt that you are thinking of a time right now, when you didn't feel like going on, when life seemed to be a dead end, no more strength, hope, or desire to try again, and remember that the more broken that you seem to be, the deeper healing is taking place, you don't have to feel better, it's some of the worst pain you can experience, but you can always embrace the love that surrounds you, if you are a sheep in this flock, you never have to wander very long alone!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment